It’s been two weeks since my summer ended with Mozilla, and I can’t say it’s been easy to take a break. I’ve spent so much time with the team, from attending the work week in Whistler, to chatting with them on IRC. I had a blast working with Dave Hunt on my project, and learned a lot more about test automation, QA, and web development.
As many of my readers know, I have a webdev project, Terml.io. Last night, I had my first big launch, besides the first release, and introduced some new features, like a redesign and Premium Accounts. Since these were major features that had the potential to bring down the site, or not work properly for our launch, I compiled a list of features that had to work before we shipped.
I am a core contributor for the Web QA team. According to the Mozilla wiki, this means that I “have made major contributions to support the mission through their contributions of time and skill. They give Mozilla reach in terms of scope, geography and influence far beyond what could be achieved through directly staffing an organization.” I work on everything, from automation to manual testing, and this summer will be spending my time on switching our test framework from Selenium to Marionette.
During the work week in Portland and in various meetings before the New Year’s, the QA team came up with some goals in mind that we wanted to achieve throughout 2015. I want to touch on one of those goals in this post – engagement of new community members.
This is a blog post that appeared a while back on quality.mozilla.org, which was the main page of Mozilla’s QA efforts. I wrote this during the summer when I was considered a “sponsored intern,” working 15-30 hours a week on Web QA related work with Mozilla, in exchange for my parents to pay for my car insurance and gas. I thought it would make a nice first post, as a view into the past of who I was, and where I am today, as a core contributor to various projects including Mozillians, Webmaker, and learning the ropes of Firefox OS QA. So without further delay, my first blog post ever written…