Hipsters have taken over the fashion industry with their retro style and cool demeanor. Achieving a 90s swag may seem daunting, but it is relatively easy with these simple suggestions. Fuse together vintage and contemporary pieces to create an outfit that speaks old-school flair.
Add a splash of denim to your wardrobe with jeans or jackets to complement your attire adequately. Pair a colorful hoodie or flannel shirt with ripped jeans for that grunge look. Incorporating unique accessories like round glasses, beanies, hoop earrings, can further enhance the vintage vibe.
To stand out from the crowd, add bold patterns and colors through tees or sweatshirts designed with geometric shapes or vivid graphics. Personalize your outfits using DIY techniques such as embroidery patches or pins to showcase your creativity.
By following these suggestions, you will successfully revive the nineties’ fashion while still maintaining your modern individuality. Embrace your inner hipster today!
Get ready to raid your parents’ closets, because dressing up for the 90s look is all about oversized flannel, faded denim, and a general lack of effort.
Table of Contents
Dressing up for the 90s Look
Achieving the 90s Swag Look
Step back into the nostalgic world of the 90s with these tips on achieving the perfect 90s swag look. With the right fashion choices, you can relive the era of grunge rock, crop tops, and tattoo chokers.
A 3-Step Guide for the 90s Swag Look
- Embrace the iconic 90s staples such as high-waisted jeans, cargo pants, oversized denim jackets, velvet slip dresses, and crop tops.
- Accessorize with chunky sneakers, platform shoes, and chain wallets. Don’t forget to add a funky tattoo choker necklace, white-framed sunglasses, and colorful snapback hat.
- Experiment with bold and vibrant makeup, including dark lipstick, smoky eyes, and glittery eyeshadows. For men, go for the grunge look with oversized flannel tops and ripped jeans.
Unique Details About the 90s Swag Look
Get your mix-and-match game on point by pairing floral prints with denim jackets, or neon-colored tops with high-waisted jeans. Rediscover the hipster look by donning a graphic t-shirt under suspenders with rolled-up jeans.
Suggestions to Achieve the 90s Swag Look
Investing in vintage pieces from thrift stores, or even borrowing from relatives who still have clothes from the era can help you achieve the authentic 90s swag look. Opting for high-quality pieces that can be used in different outfits can also help you save money in the long run.
Nothing says ‘I’m too cool for school’ like a pair of high-waist denim jeans, except maybe a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve of your flannel shirt.
High-Waist Denim Jeans
Denim slacks with a high waist are an excellent inclusion in any wardrobe for a classic yet stylish appearance.
- Notable amongst their numerous advantages is the power to elongate the legs and emphasize one’s curves.
- Team them up with a crop top for that chic 90s vibe or tuck in a shirt for a classy outlook.
- Accessorize them with chunky jewellery for a bold statement look.
To get the perfect fit on your high-waist denim jeans make sure you get accurate measurements taken by a professional tailor or consult size guides provided by trusted brands.
A friend of mine, who is into vintage fashion, swears by her collection of high-waisted denim jeans. She loves how they can effortlessly elevate her overall appearance while allowing her to remain comfortable during day-long events.
Who needs a time machine when you can just throw on a band tee and crop top and transport yourself back to the 90s?
Crop Tops and Band Tees
For those seeking to dress up in retro-styled clothing, “Trendy 90s Fashion – Half-top and Musical Attire” can be a great choice. The blend of crop tops and band tees was the ultimate fashion statement of the 1990s.
- Crop tops – These fashionable juniors’ garments boast an eye-catching midriff-baring design, providing both comfort and style. They come in various styles, sizes, and colors, making them a versatile choice with infinite pairing options.
- Band tees – These comfortable t-shirts feature iconic bands or pop culture references to personalize one’s outfit choices. Many vintage stores often offer limited edition designs from legendary rock groups like Aerosmith and Metallica.
- Pick your style – For maximum impact, you can pair skinny jeans with platforms or Doc Martens for a more edgy vibe. If elegance is your aim, consider blending it with a blazer or leather jacket.
Notably, accessorizing with chunky chains and chokers as well as dainty hair accessories adds more flair to the attire while keeping it modern.
With these suggestions in mind, dressing up in crop tops and band tees can become easy breezy with effortless chicness when paired the right way. Denim jackets and floral dresses – because grunge meets girly, and it’s a fashion match made in 90s heaven.
Floral Dresses and Denim Jackets
The fusion of floral and denim clothing has become a popular trend in the 90s fashion. Combining soft, feminine floral prints with rugged and sturdy denim jackets offers a unique blend of contrasting styles. This combination is versatile, elegant, and edgy at the same time, making it easy to dress up for any occasion.
Floral print dresses make an excellent option for daytime activities or events such as picnics or brunch dates. You can pair your flowy dress with a fitted denim jacket to balance out the feminine essence. Alternatively, you can wear distressed denim paired with a floral shirt for a more casual look.
If you are looking for ways to add an extra touch of elegance to your outfit, accessorize with statement jewelry pieces and high heel shoes. To complete your look, match it with light makeup focused on pastel hues while using bold lip colors that complement your dress.
Interestingly enough, according to Vogue’s fashion commentary in May 1992, pairing denim and florals was once considered risky fashion territory back in its early development.
When it comes to 90s swag, accessories are like sprinkles on a cupcake – they may not be necessary, but they sure do make things more fun.
Accessorizing for the 90s Swag
Achieving a 90s Swag necessitates a keen selection of accessories that complement the look. The key to accessorizing for your 90s Swag is finding pieces that exude a retro vibe that aligns with the overall look.
To successfully accessorize your 90s Swag, consider the following three points:
- Chokers – Adding a choker, in either velvet or leather material, to your outfit will bring a grungy edge to your style.
- Hoop Earrings – Oversized hoop earrings, preferably in silver or gold, are the perfect and most iconic accessory to complete the 90s Swag look.
- Sporty Headbands – A bright-colored sporty headband nestled in your hair will bring about a sport and athleisure touch to your style.
Elevate your 90s Swag accessory game with accessories like chain belts, platform shoes, and scrunchies. These accessories will add a twist to your look and complete your ensemble.
In the 90s, dressing up with a choker and platform shoes was the definition of cool. Celebrities such as Britney Spears, Gwen Stefani, and TLC were a source of inspiration for those striving to achieve the 90s Swag look.
Chokers may have been cool in the 90s, but wearing a pendant necklace now is the real hipster flex.
Chokers and Pendant Necklaces
Chokers and Dangling Pendants are all the rage in 90s fashion. Here are 5 ways to accessorize with them:
- Wear a velvet choker with a denim outfit to balance the edgy look.
- Layer multiple chains of varying lengths for an effortlessly chic vibe.
- Pendants with meaningful symbols or words add a personal touch to any outfit.
- Pair a delicate choker with a formal dress to add some edge to your ensemble.
- A black leather choker adds boldness and drama to any outfit, but be sure not to over-accessorize.
Did you know that Chokers were popularized in the 1790s during the French Revolution by women who wore red ribbons around their necks as an homage to those killed by guillotine? (Source: Vogue)
Small frames, big attitude – the 90s called, they want their sunglasses back.
Sunglasses and Small Framed Glasses
Sunglasses and Stylishly Small Frames have established themselves as a popular accessory in the fashion trends of the 90s.
- Go for bold shades or mirrored lenses for Sunglasses if you want to make a statement.
- Small-Framed Glasses provide a subtle yet sophisticated look. Opt for ones with colorful frames or unique shape
- Try oversized square-shaped sunglasses from the past decades to portray power-dressing.
- You can pair small-framed glasses with turtlenecks, leather jackets, blazers or streetwear for an effortlessly cool vibe.
- Sport Wrap-around Sunglasses with Joggers and Sneakers and step up your sport-chic game.
For those who wear eyeglasses every day, you can replace plain Glass with non-prescription small-framed ones to enhance your style game without losing sight of practicality.
As a final suggestion, one can add a touch of luxury by pairing these accessories with expensive jewelry like bracelets adorned in diamonds and gold chains, thereby completing the swanky 90s look.
Fanny packs and backpacks: perfect for carrying your stuff and ruining any chance of ever being a fashion icon.
Fanny Packs and Backpacks
As fashion evolved in the 90s, new trends emerged, shifting focus to accessorizing. This led to a widespread adoption of bags and packs for style and functionality. The following are some ways people accessorized with bags:
- Utilitarian Fanny Packs: A functional pack worn around the waist or cross-body for hands-free necessities.
- Sporty Backpacks: Outdoor-inspired backpacks, perfect for carrying books or sports gear.
- Fashionable Backpacks: Chic backpacks with intricate designs, adding an element of style to an outfit.
- Mini Backpacks: Petite versions of traditional backpacks, ideal for minimalistic fashionistas.
- Travel Packs: Large, sturdy backpacks designed for long-haul travel trips.
- Shoulder Bags: Small shoulder bags that offer convenience and balance any look.
In addition to these accessories, the trend also saw bags incorporating animal shapes and unconventional materials like crochet or beading. Other styling choices include layering with multiple bags for a maximalist look.
Interestingly, fanny packs actually originated in the early 60s before returning as a trend in the 90s. (Source: Business Insider)
Get ready to rock a killer mullet or a scrunchie-adorned high ponytail, because these hairstyles are straight outta the 90s and ready to make a comeback.
Hairstyles for the 90s Swag Vibe
If you’re aiming to achieve a 90s swag, you’ll need to nail down the perfect hairstyle that encapsulates the era. The ‘Hairstyles for the 90s Vibe’ evoke a sense of grunge, rebellion, and non-conformity that defines the decade.
Here are a few hairstyle ideas to achieve the 90s vibe:
- The classic bob: this short, choppy style is perfect for those looking to emulate the likes of Winona Ryder and Drew Barrymore.
- The messy bun: effortless and chic, this hairstyle is ideal for creating the ultimate grunge look.
- The high ponytail: popularized by the Spice Girls in the late nineties, this hairstyle is still a go-to for fashion-conscious individuals looking to add a touch of nostalgia to their outfits.
- The pixie cut: short and edgy, this hairstyle is for those who aren’t afraid to take risks with their fashion choices.
- The loose waves: natural and carefree, this hairstyle is perfect for those who want to embrace the unstructured nature of the 90s era.
To add a unique touch to your 90s-inspired hairstyle, accessories are essential. Hair clips, bandanas, scrunchies, and oversized barrettes are all must-have items that can elevate your look. Adding a touch of hair glitter or temporary hair dye can also help create a more individualistic style that reflects the era’s non-conformity.
Don’t miss out on the chance to embrace your inner hipster with 90s-inspired hairstyles. Experiment with different looks, add accessories, and have fun with your hair. Remember, the 90s were all about self-expression, so don’t be afraid to take some risks and express your unique personality through your hair. Finally, a hairstyle that lets you channel your inner Lisa Frank artwork.
Half Up-Half Down with Scrunchies
This hairstyle is all about pulling half of your hair up and leaving the other half down with the help of scrunchies. The trendy 90s vibe gives a chic yet playful look that is perfect for any occasion.
- Begin by brushing your hair thoroughly to remove any tangles or knots.
- Take the top section of your hair and secure it with a scrunchie, leaving enough hair out on each side to frame your face.
- Use a comb to tease the ponytail slightly, creating some volume and texture.
- Finally, add another scrunchie just below the first one to hold everything in place.
This hairstyle is versatile and can be customized according to individual preferences by adjusting the height of the ponytail or adding more scrunchies. You can experiment with different colors of scrunchies for a fun pop of color.
While this style was popularized in the 90s by various celebrities, including Gwen Stefani, it has recently made a comeback with many influencers sporting it on social media.
Space buns: because regular buns aren’t out-of-this-world enough for the 90s.
Braids, Buns, and Space Buns
Hairstyles that encompass braids, buns, and space buns are perfect for anyone looking to channel a nostalgic 90s vibe. If you’re searching for an easy hairstyle to do at home or a more elaborate updo, there’s something for everyone.
Braids: Simple and elegant hairstyles come with adding braids. In this case, you can do cornrows, French braids, or even fishtail braids. The possibilities are endless here.
Buns: Buns are the perfect way to create a sleek and sophisticated look. You can go all-out with a high bun or keep things simple with a low one.
Space Buns: For those who want to be more daring, space buns might be your best bet. These funky hairstyles involve separating your hair into two pigtail sections before wrapping them into buns on top of your head.
To take it up a notch, you can add hair accessories like scrunchies or bandanas that will make all the difference in creating the ultimate 90s look.
When it comes to incorporating these styles into your everyday life, don’t be afraid to experiment with different textures and lengths. Whether you have curly hair or straight hair, short hair or long hair – the possibilities are endless.
Did you know? The popular ’90s sitcom “Friends“ showcased some iconic hairstyles that remain popular today. Jennifer Aniston’s character Rachel Green sported “The Rachel,” which involved choppy layers and honey-blonde highlights. Her sidekick Monica Geller had her own signature hairstyle – the high ponytail with tendrils framing her face.
Who needs long hair when you can rock a chic pixie cut or stylish short bob? The 90s called, they want their hairstyle back, but we’re ignoring them and embracing these classics.
Pixie Cuts and Short Bob Hairstyles
Looking for a chic ’90s vibe? Short haircuts like the classic Pixie Cuts and Short Bob Hairstyles can be your perfect choice. These hairstyles are versatile, low-maintenance, and can flatter any face shape!
- Bob haircuts have been in trend since the 1900s. They’re usually shoulder-length but modern variations come in a variety of lengths.
- Pixie Cuts are a bold move featuring elfin hair that sits close to the scalp. It’s ideal for those looking for an easy-to-style cut.
- Short hair is non-gender binary- anyone can pull it off! Make it feminine with bangs or accessorizing.
- Customize your Pixie Cut or Short Bob by trying out different shapes, textures and colours!
Opt for pastel hues or vivid highlights to add more dimension to your new hairstyle. With these low-maintenance looks, you’ll never miss a beat!
Pixie Cuts and Short Bob Hairstyles may seem simple at first glance, but the unique details can make all the difference. Adding bangs, layers or asymmetrical cuts can elevate your haircut of choice to a whole new level.
Did you know? In the 1920s, women began challenging societal norms by sporting shorter hairstyles like bobs. This was due in part to feminism and changing social attitudes towards women’s role in society. Over time, women experimented with shorter and edgier haircuts like Pixies too giving rise to the iconic styles we see today! Get ready to rock the grunge makeup look, because the 90s called and they want their edgy style back.
Makeup for a 90s Swag- Inspired Look
For achieving a 90s-inspired look, one needs to focus on the makeup for an authentic appearance. The key to achieving this aesthetic lies in using products that the people in the 90s would have used.
To obtain the perfect 90s-inspired makeup look, here are five points one should keep in mind:
- Firstly, matte lipsticks in dark shades such as burgundy, brown, or nude are a must.
- Secondly, a thick layer of mascara should be applied to create volume and length to the eyelashes.
- Thirdly, brown or nude eyeshadow suits well for a natural look that was prevalent in the 90s.
- Fourthly, blusher in shades of pink or coral can create a youthful glow that dominated the 90s.
- Lastly, thin eyebrows are back in style, and tweezing them to achieve a thin look is ideal for this aesthetic.
To make the 90s-inspired look even more authentic, one should focus on the details. Applying blue eyeliner on the lower lash line for a pop of color or using lip liner to define the lips can recreate the 90s vibe.
A true history of an iconic 90s look is the “supermodel” style, which consisted of bold makeup, winged eyeliner, and voluminous hair. This look was popularized by supermodels like Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, and Claudia Schiffer.
Get ready to pucker up and channel your inner goth with these dark lipsticks, because let’s face it, nothing says 90s swag like a little edginess on your pout.
Dark Lipsticks and Glossy Lips
Looking to achieve a bold and edgy look with your makeup? Think along the lines of deep, rich Dark Lipsticks and Glossy Lips.
Here are some tips to help you master this trend:
- Choose a bold lipstick shade like burgundy, purple, or black cherry to make a statement.
- Use a lip liner in the same shade as your dark lipstick to define your lips and prevent bleeding.
- Add some shine by layering a clear gloss over your lipstick for a glossy, high-shine finish.
- For an even bolder look, try mixing two different dark shades together for a unique lip color
To really make this trend work, don’t forget to consider the rest of your makeup. A flawless complexion and subtle eye makeup can enhance the impact of dark lips. Try experimenting with different shades until you find the perfect match for your skin tone and style.
Keep in mind that achieving this 90s-inspired look takes more than just picking out the right colors – it’s also about feeling confident and fierce. So be bold, be daring, and rock those Dark Lipsticks and Glossy Lips like nobody’s business!
Makeup so bold, it’ll leave your ex wondering why they ever let you go.
Bold Eye Makeup and Eyeliner
For a vintage-inspired 90s look, your eye makeup should be bold and striking. Creating this look involves using daring shades of eyeshadow and focusing on defined eyeliner to complete the overall aesthetic.
Here is a 5-step guide to achieve the perfect ‘90s Bold Eye Makeup and Eyeliner‘:
- After priming your eyelids, apply eyeshadow in a rich brown shade across your crease.
- Use a mauve color to blend into the outer corner of your eye.
- Apply black eyeliner closely along your top lash line, extending it slightly outwards for a winged effect.
- Smudge more dark eyeshadow onto your lower lash line as well as the corners of your eyes with an angled brush.
- Finally, apply two thick coats of mascara to both upper and lower lashes.
To make this look standout even further here’s an added detail: you can enhance the eyeliner by applying rhinestones or colored dots just above the wing tip.
Pro Tip: To avoid smudging while applying eyeshadow and liner together, use tape under eyes to ensure clean lines.
Get ready to carve those cheekbones like a Thanksgiving turkey with these contouring techniques.
Blush and Contouring Techniques
Steps for applying makeup for an iconic 90s-inspired look:
- Prep your skin by applying moisturizer and primer.
- To contour, use a matte bronzer or a shade two to three times darker than your skin tone under your cheekbones, jawline and on temples.
- Blend the bronzer in small circular motions using a fluffy brush.
- To add some color to the cheeks, apply blush on top of the bronzer using the same technique as before.
- Finish off by blending everything together with a clean brush or beauty blender for a seamless finish.
Incorporate highlighting with blush and contour to enhance your cheekbones further. Avoid overdoing it since it can make you look unnatural.
Create depth and dimension on your face by adding blush and contour to the nose, forehead, and chin.
Don’t miss out on nailing this iconic 90s-inspired makeup look. Practice makes perfect – play around with different shades and tools until you find what works best for you. Go ahead and embrace the 90s makeup look, because as they say, “if the beauty trends don’t fit, don’t force it – just wing it!“
Conclusion: 90s Swag Achieved!
Achieving the 90s swag is not as difficult as you think. By following the tips and tricks mentioned in this article, you can easily embrace your inner hipster. Whether it’s rocking vintage clothing or choosing the right accessories, we have covered it all. Remember to be confident and unique in your style choices.
To achieve a perfect 90s look, start by investing in oversized shirts, baggy jeans, and sweatshirts. Pair them with chunky shoes like Doc Martens or sneakers to complete the look. Don’t forget to accessorize with chokers, hoop earrings and scrunchies to add that extra flair.
One key element of 90s fashion is layering. Mix and match different patterns and textures together for a bold statement. If you’re feeling adventurous, try mixing bold prints like leopard or plaid.
In the 90s, grunge was a popular subculture that influenced fashion choices worldwide. It originated from Seattle’s music scene and drew inspiration from punk rock and heavy metal music genres.
By embracing your inner hipster and following these simple tips, you can achieve a 90s swag effortlessly. With unique clothing choices and accessorizing options, you’ll turn heads wherever you go!
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I embrace my inner hipster and achieve 90s swag?
To embrace your inner hipster and achieve 90s swag, start by incorporating vintage clothing, oversized jackets and jeans, and retro accessories like chunky sneakers, chokers, and hair clips. Don’t forget to experiment with bold, vibrant colors and mix and match different patterns and textures to create a unique and eclectic look.
What are some essential 90s fashion staples?
Some essential 90s fashion staples include denim overalls, high-waisted jeans, oversized flannel shirts, combat boots, vintage band tees, and platform sneakers. Don’t forget to accessorize with sunglasses, hoop earrings, and berets for a complete 90s vibe.
Can I achieve 90s swag on a budget?
Absolutely! Embracing your inner hipster and achieving 90s swag doesn’t have to break the bank. Thrift stores are a great source for finding vintage clothing and accessories at a fraction of the cost. You can also shop at affordable retailers that specialize in retro-inspired clothing and accessories.
How can I incorporate 90s style into my everyday wardrobe?
You can incorporate 90s style into your everyday wardrobe by mixing and matching modern and vintage pieces. For example, you can pair a vintage denim jacket with a graphic tee and high-waisted jeans for a chic and retro look. You can also add 90s-inspired accessories to any outfit, like a choker necklace or combat boots.
What are some popular 90s makeup trends?
Some popular 90s makeup trends include bold, matte lips in shades like brown and burgundy, thin eyebrows, and heavy black eyeliner. You can also experiment with colorful eye shadows like blue, green, and purple, and don’t forget to add some shimmer to your cheeks for a touch of glamour.
Can guys embrace 90s fashion?
Absolutely! 90s fashion was all about individuality and self-expression, regardless of gender. Guys can incorporate 90s style into their wardrobe by wearing oversized jackets and flannel shirts, distressed denim, vintage graphic tees, and chunky sneakers. Don’t be afraid to experiment with colors, patterns, and textures to create your own unique 90s-inspired look.
What other articles should I read?
Embracing your 90s swag involves more than just a mindset, it’s also about style and aesthetics. To get your look right, you may want to explore our Fashion section and get inspired by trends like 90s Biker Shorts and Baggy Overalls. To really set the mood, consider updating your tech with some 90s Theme Backgrounds. And for the complete experience, take a walk down memory lane with Classic 90s Celebrities and channel your inner 90s icon.